Lau, Joseph Luen Hung 劉鑾雄

Chinese Estates (0127) to sell Windsor House to controlling shareholder Joseph Lau
Company announcement, 23-Dec-2015
By buying the BVI company which indirectly owns the property, they avoid the 8.5% stamp duty which would have cost HK$918m on the $10.8bn property. Incidentally, the Windsor House company owns a nominee membership of The Hong Kong Golf Club valued at HK$12.6m.
Joseph Lau to buy property shell from Chinese Estates (0127), avoiding HK$669.8m Double Stamp Duty
Company announcement, 12-Dec-2014
The property is valued at HK$7.88bn, but he is buying the BVI company that owns it. This avoids 8.5% Double Stamp Duty, an interventionist Government tool which many can legally avoid, unless they need to buy bare property without a corporate wrapper.
HK tycoon Joseph Lau Luen Hung guilty in Macau graft trialHall of Shame
RTHK, 14-Mar-2014
He is thereby inducted into our Hall of Shame. The case reminds us of the late Lim Por Yen, founder of Lai Sun group, who was convicted in Taiwan for corruption over a land transaction. As with Macau, there was and is no extradition treaty between HK and Taiwan. China is actually 1 country, 4 legal systems. After paying NT$40m in bail and being allowed to leave pending appeal, he never returned to Taiwan.
Ao hit with 29 years for 'unmatched graft'
HK Standard, 1-Jun-2012
New sentence for Ao Man-long
RTHK, 31-May-2012
For accepting bribes from Joseph Lau Luen-hung and Steven Lo Kit-sing and for money laundering. The alleged bribers have not yet faced trial.
Chinese Estates (0127): clarification
Company announcement, 24-May-2012
Lifestyle (1212): NED Joseph Lau Luen-hung charged with bribery and money-laundering
Company announcement, 24-May-2012
Chinese Estates (0127): Joseph Lau Luen-hung charged in Macau with bribery and money-laundering
Company announcement, 23-May-2012
Chinese Estates (0127): the vendors were independent
Company announcement, 19-Apr-2012
Comment: Chinese Estates still does not disclose who owned the BVI vendors of Moon Ocean, and does not disclose whom Moon Ocean acquired the land from. It does not repeat the 2005 claim that the BVI Lender of a $750m facility to Moon Ocean was an Independent Third Party. In a Macau court, Steven Lo Kit Sing has said that he borrowed the money from Joseph Lau.
Tycoon denies bribery claim
HK Standard, 18-Apr-2012
The article says that a company owned by Joseph Lau and Steven Lo Kit Sing won the tender for the sites - but if this is true, then who sold Moon Ocean Ltd (which acquired the land in 5 agreements in Oct-2005) to Chinese Estates? The vendors were BVI companies who were said by Chinese Estates to be independent. We call on the ICAC and SFC to investigate who owned the vendors and how Moon Ocean bought the land.
Chinese Estates (0127): we and Joseph Lau didn't bribe Ao Man Long
Company announcement, 17-Apr-2012
Joseph Lau buys 3 Deep Water Bay Road from Chinese Estates (0127), avoids 19.25% stamp duty
Company announcement, 7-Nov-2011
He is actually buying a BVI subsidiary which owns the property. That company bought the property for HK$888.8m on 17-Aug-2011. If it had sold him the property, the transaction would have cost a punitive 15% Special Stamp Duty (for resale within 6 months) and 4.25% regular stamp duty, a total duty of 19.25% or HK$171m. By buying the BVI company, there is no duty payable.
Joseph Lau Luen Hung subscribes US$300m of Renhe (1387) notes
Company announcement, 3-Nov-2010
China Strategic bubble
We warn investors of a bubble in the stock of China Strategic, the 80% owner of the proposed buyer of Taiwan's Nan Shan Life Insurance, partly financed by a massive note issue convertible into 78bn shares at $0.10 each. We publish the placing list and analyse the names in the deal. Finally, we warn investors to avoid 7 companies in the "Chung Nam network", which has lost HK$6.2bn in 5 years. (13-Nov-2009)
Weakening of corporate governance and quintupling of Chairman's pay
Company announcement, 31-Dec-2008
Hearing on legal costs of insider dealing inquiry concluded
HK Government, 29-Jun-1999
Insider Dealing Tribunal submitted report on Chinese Estates Holdings Ltd
HK Government, 12-May-1999
Report of Insider Dealing Tribunal
IDT, 7-May-1999

Sign up for our free newsletter

Recommend Webb-site to a friend

Copyright & disclaimer, Privacy policy

Back to top